Monday 3 November 2008

Day of the Dead

Well at the moment we are in Mexico City. We arrived here a few days ago to visit S's family who live here (bit of a last minute decision for various reasons but then that is typical of our family). This is my 3rd trip to Mexico and for the previous 2 trips I have intended to write down my thoughts and experiences but, well, you know what they say about good intentions and all that. This time I am determined. Not least because things which were completely new to me are now starting to become a little familiar and I am not noticing the small things as much. So my posts while here will probably mainly focus on the cultural side rather than the linguistic.

Anyway, better stop waffling. Yesterday here was Day of the Dead. From what I understand, this is when people celebrate the lives of loved ones who have died. This is a huge celebration and everywhere is decorated - mainly with paperchain cutouts of skeletons dressed up in fine clothes. In fact there are skeletons dressed up in fine clothes everywhere, in the form of chocolates, toys, decorations hanging all over the place. It is traditional to go to the cemetary and the graveside of dead relatives / friends and bring food and drink and perhaps gifts but we didn't do this. We did however eat Bread of the Dead which is a very light and fluffy bread with a slight citrus taste and something else that I couldn't put my finger on and topped with sugar. Very yummy. Children may also dress up and go trick or treating a la Halloween but I think this is more of a recent thing. I played my part in as much as I did resemble a zombie for the much of the day (and especially the evening) courtesy of jetlag. Still, F enjoyed seeing the children who came trick or treating to our door dressed up.

No comments: